Thursday, November 30, 2006

Snead Out At Texas Part II

Pete already broke the story below, but since I had a piece written, I may as well post also so as not to waste. So to add to Pete's original story...

It has been rumored that Texas quarterback Jevan Snead has asked out of his scholarship at Texas. It seems that Snead is looking at transferring to another school to play ball. No official word as of yet as to where Snead could be looking at transferring, although I have heard he is strongly considering TCU. Houston and Louisville are also options. Personally, I had a feeling that this issue might arise with Colt McCoy playing as well as he did this season. Snead enrolled at Texas believing that he had an honest shot at winning the starting quarterback job, and he did. Unfortunately for Snead, once McCoy got the job, he never looked back (unless you count the times this year he has died in games the last two weeks). So at this point McCoy looks the be the starter from here on out and since Snead and McCoy both would have three years of eligibility left, Snead will be relegated to career back-up by staying at Texas. There is the chance that McCoy could do so well at UT that he leaves school early for the pros, but even then that would only give Snead one year at the helm. And there isn’t any guarantee that Snead will even remain the number two guy in the future. The Longhorns have a strong verbal commitment from Trinity Catholic high school senior John Brantley. Brantley is the number two ranked, pro-style quarterback in the nation according to Rivals.com and he should be in Austin next fall. In fact Brantley will for sure be in Austin next week, as he has an official visit scheduled and you can be sure Snead’s decision will have an effect on Brantley’s final choice of school. So although this rumor of Snead’s departure from the Longhorns hasn’t been confirmed yet, this move makes sense to me, as I have previously mentioned. Snead is a far too talented quarterback to spend time on the bench. It should be noted that Coach Mack Brown met with the freshman earlier this week. Snead talked to Brown about the possibility of transferring, and the coach told him to think about it more before making a decision. As of Friday early morning, Snead had yet to ask for the official paperwork for release from the team. Depending on when or if Snead files for transfer, his eligibility for the bowl game could be in doubt. I will attempt to contact Snead to get more info, so check back at Silva Sportz for the latest news regarding this breaking story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home