Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Mario Williams' Greatness vs Reggie's Ego


So I’m watching Sportscenter and I just saw a story about Mario Williams. The story was just basically talking about how even though a lot of people who know nothing about football thought Reggie “uuuuuggg” Bush should have gone first, the Texans have no regrets at all about taking Mario first. I would like to take this time to publicly proclaim my man crush for this season on Mr. Williams. Don’t clown, cuz we all have them – Phil/Peyton, Rose/Merriman, Willie B/Jason Taylor, Snow/Dom, Devin/Alstott, and the list goes on and on. So why am I in love with Mario? Well first of all he is such a beastly athlete. 6’7”, 295 lbs, with 4.66 speed, 35 bench reps, and a 40.5” vertical, need I say more? Second, he is humble, like an unproven rookie should be. In the Sportscenter piece, Mario echoed what I have heard him say over and over since the day he was drafted. When asked his goals for this season, he states simply, to help his team get better. What about sacks the reporter presses him? Mario simply answers he just wants to do whatever the teams asks of him and if it’s pressuring the quarterback, then so be it.
Here is a second example of the proper attitude a rookie should have. Later on in the same Sportscenter, John Clayton reported that even though Broncos RB Mike Bell has been named the starter, he is attempting to secure the spot by working on running low so that he can better protect the ball. Clayton then mentioned that Bell was such a huge Terrell Davis fan growing up, that Bell wore Davis’ jersey until the number 30 came off. When the Broncos offered to give Bell number 30 for his own jersey, Bell refused the offer saying he hadn’t done anything to earn it yet. Now compare that attitude to this other rookie who has done nothing but rubbed me the wrong way for the last year. When asked what his goals are Reggie Bush said without missing a beat to become the greatest football player of all time. Wow Reggie, don’t be too humble. I know people are going to argue and say there is nothing wrong with wanting to be the best at what you do, but I think the problem is that Reggie Bush really believes he is already one of the best players ever to play the game. And how has Reggie proved himself? He had a 44 yard run in a meaningless preseason game. Reggie Bush comes across to me as extremely cocky and selfish with an attitude that seems to put himself first before his team. So as I publicly declare my man crush for Mario Williams, I would also like to publicly declare my distaste for Reggie Bush. Reggie, everyone else may worship you and feed your ENORMOUS ego, but I think you are overrated thus far and you have a lot of work to do, and not just on the field, to change my mind. I think Big Kev summed it up best when he said……..well you know.
So which players currently in the league leave a bad taste in your mouth? I’m not necessarily talking about an all turd team of bums who beat their wives and get suspended for violating the substance abuse policy, although they could make your list, I am thinking more along the lines of players who you just get tired of hearing about and who you think are overrated. If you can, give a reason or two why you get tired of hearing about the player.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

my old one used to be Favre. people were all on his jizock and I didn't think he was that good. It finally took Favre throwing 29 ints last year to knock him off his throne.

4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home