Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Happy 65th Birthday Duane Charles Parcells!


Today we honor one of the greatest coaches in NFL history. I hereby give you a birthday tribute to the Big Tuna himself, Coach Parcells.

Here is a brief summary of Parcells’ NFL coaching history.
Parcells coached NY Giants to 2 Super Bowl titles (1987,91); retired after 1990 season then returned in 1993 as coach of New England; took hapless Pats from 2-14 in 1992 to Super Bowl (loss to Green Bay) in 1997; left Patriots after Super Bowl to coach the New York Jets; coached 3 seasons with the Jets (1997-99), turning them from 1-15 doormat to AFC East champ in 2 years; retired again in 2000 but returned to the sidelines in 2003 as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys.

More general info on the great Coach Parcells, here and here.

Did You Know……..
Parcells began his coaching career as an assistant at Hastings in 1964.
Parcells also coached at Florida State, Texas Tech, and was head coach at Air Force.
Parcells became the first head coach in NFL history to direct four different teams to the playoffs.
The now famous “Gatorade bath” was invented on Parcells during the mid-80’s with his Giants team.

Here is the story of how Parcells got the nickname “Big Tuna” according to Parcells.

Here is an infamous Parcells quote:
“I had an Italian mother. She didn't view what I was doing as really a profession. She viewed it as recreation. I said, "Gee Mom, I'm going to be the head coach of the New York Giants." And she said to me, "When are you going to get a real job like your brother the banker?"”
Read more Parcells’ quotes here.


I just want to take the time to thank Parcells in advance for helping the Cowboys to a division, conference, and Super Bowl title this season. Thanks coach!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

I hope you got my "thanks coach" link. That was the best I could do, as they didn't actually have any pics of John Candy pounding on his helmet.

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear, I did not even click on that link and when I read it I really thought "ooh, thanks coach" that classic cool runnings quote.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home