Monday, August 14, 2006

Pre-Season...


Well you all know that Clinton Portis was injured last night when he made a tackle on an interception return by Keiwan Ratliff. Hey coach Gibbs, why the heck was he even in? Even Portis himself questioned why he was playing. Guys like him shouldn't even suit out for pre season games. Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing these games. I know, maybe others don't, that these games are clearly for unproven players and rookies. Not that they suck, but the only way to evaluate a guy is to throw him in the mix and let him get REAL NFL experience. NO matter how good an athlete he is, when it comes down to it, it's all about how he reacts in a game situation. Mikey and I discussed this last night, and I must give kudos to tha Tuna. He let Tony Romo, who never took a regular season snap, play the whole game. Now prior to what you may have heard, it is hard when you keep switching out with another player, and you can't get into rhythm. Winning doesn't even matter because it's basically a practice in game jerseys with refs. Maybe other Coaches will learn from Gibbs' mistake. Let me finsh with this: Injuries are a major concern for 1 reason. Here's an example, picure this in your mind; Mike Vick drop back and gets flushed out of the pocket, he darts right and cuts up when he is tackled by Adalius Thomas and breaks his leg. The problem? The Falcons lost their season because of a stupid decision in a worthless game.

3 Comments:

Blogger Situ said...

injury bug got Sheriff Gonna Getcha.

10:09 AM  
Blogger pete silva said...

hold up. injuries can happen at any time!!! pre-season, regular season, practice, it doesnt matter. that vick injury and portis injury were just misfortunate. you cant blame the pre-season is weak cuz injuries, its just weak cuz the proven players dont need it to show what they got.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Situ said...

I think every player can benefit from the preseason. It's obvious how rooks benefit, but even vets who've been in the league for years have some rust to shake off. I'm thinking as if I'm a head coach. Do I want my starting QB to play significant time in all 4 preseason games? Nope. But at the same time, do I want him to go into the 1st game of the regular season having taken cero snaps in game situations? No way again. So I guess the real question for me is how many snaps do different players need?

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home